How to Keep Your Grout Looking Brand New
Tile can make a drab bathroom, kitchen, or living room in your Fort Wayne home look pristine and polished, but like all types of flooring, tile has to be maintained properly to remain in good condition. During your ownership of tile floors, you may seek the help of a tile and carpet cleaning company for tile and grout cleaning services.
Regular Grout Cleaning and Maintenance
Cleaning your grout and tile daily, or at least weekly, will make your occasional deep grout cleaning much easier. Look for mild or neutral grout cleaners that won’t harm your grout or tile. A neutral grout cleaner with a pH of 7 can be sprayed onto your tile and grout, left for about 3 minutes, and then wiped away with a clean, damp towel. Remove the grout cleaner thoroughly, but use as little water as possible.
Additional Grout Cleaning Tips
- Your tile and carpet cleaning company will probably suggest that you remove dirt and dust by vacuuming or sweeping before you use water to clean tile and grout.
- Stiff nylon brushes are recommended for deep cleaning grout and tile. Brushes with metal bristles can be too harsh, and toothbrushes can be too soft.
- Any time you use a chemical-based grout cleaner, put on gloves and safety glasses.
- When mopping your tile floors, try not to push water and dirt into the grout lines.
- Avoid using bleach on colored grout because the grout can become discolored.
- Cleaning with acidic products such as vinegar isn’t recommended for grout and tile with alkaline materials, such as travertine, limestone, and slate. If you use acidic products, perform a test of the product on a hidden section of the tile and grout, rinse the area thoroughly, and apply baking soda to the area to neutralize the acid.
- Never mix chemical-based grout and tile cleaners together.
- You can make your grout last longer between deep cleanings by applying grout sealer, which will prevent dirt and water staining.
- If you attempt to clean broken or flaky grout, you should stop cleaning and replace your grout instead because these problems indicate water damage.
- Avoid deep cleaning your grout yourself by hiring an experienced tile and carpet cleaning company.
Cleaning your grout thoroughly and frequently can save you money in the long run because you won’t need to replace your grout or tile flooring prematurely. If you require some assistance with grout cleaning in your Fort Wayne home, reach out to a reputable carpet cleaning company like Floor Finished by New Again Carpet Cleaning.